IS MY LIFE A REFLECTION OF JESUS?
Yesterday as I read some devotions and viewed some sermons I had taped, several things stood out to me; and I invite you to ponder these things with me.
“So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” John 20:21 NKJV. If God is sending me into the world to be His mouthpiece and His vessel to touch unbelievers, then what would God want me to do to reflect Christ in my daily life? Does my daily activities reflect God’s character or mine?
The following list came from Dr. Charles Stanley’s sermon, A Strong Christian Life www.intouch.org. I hope this list helps you, as it does me, to remember that we serve a forever, faithful God who loves us. Yes, He does have a plan to conform us to the image of Christ to use us and fulfill our destiny on this side of heaven. His plan will be for our good and His glory. (Romans 8:28; 11:36).
A STRONG LIFE IN CHRIST – Evidences of a life walking in the Lordship of Christ fully trusting Him.
- I have placed my faith and trust in Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord of my life.
- I spend a daily time with God in prayer and His word.
- My life is built on the teaching of God’s word and its application in my life.
- The Holy Spirit guides my life.
- I speak no evil of anyone and do not grumble or complain.
- I love, live and serve God out of my spiritual gifts.
- I am quick to forgive.
- My life reflects inner peace.
- My life will unknowing impact others for Christ.
First, dear friends, let’s fully realize that those statements above are only possible when we intentionally put God first in our lives (Matthew 6:33); die to ourselves and let Christ live through us (Galatians 2:20).
For my personal spiritual evaluation I wanted to share my spiritual journey with you using Dr. Stanley’s list:
- I received Christ as Savior and Lord of my life in September 1976. Prior to this I believed that Jesus was a prophet. When I confessed my sin and prayed for Christ to come in to my life, He did. My life has never been the same.
- Spending time with the Lord is a priority. If something “happens” and I miss some time, I do not feel guilty but confess it and pray without ceasing throughout the day. Praying without ceasing is a good thing, even when we spend time with the Lord. After all, Christ lives in us.
- I have tried over the years to memorize Scripture so that I can take God’s word with me. The importance of applying God’s word to my life is summed up in these statements: One step of obedience is more beneficial than a head full of biblical knowledge. With one step of obedience, God enlightens our next step.
- Christ in us is the only means of being used of God to speak Spirit to Spirit. Our flesh profits nothing. “Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.” John 3:6
- I want to get as close as I can to God this side of heaven; to not think or speak evil of anyone and give them the benefit of the doubt. As far as grumbling and complaining, I continue to ask God to make Ephesians 4:29 come alive in my heart – “Let no corruption communication proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification and will give grace to those who hear.”
- I love serving the Lord with the spiritual gifts He has given me of hospitality, encouragement and administration. Without Him I can do nothing. John 15:5 says, “I am the vine, and you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in Him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”
- God has forgiven me of so very much and continues to forgive me. Sometimes I have had to say to Him: “Lord, I can’t forgive this person, but I know that You can. Please help me to love this person and let forgiveness in my heart become real.”
- I have many verses that I have in my heart to help me through those times when peace is not in my heart. “You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because He trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3. You may want to go to www.biblestudytools.com and put the word peace in the browser. You will find many great scriptures on God’s perfect peace.
- Many people have unknowingly impacted my life to encourage me to press forward with tenacity and perseverance to trust and obey God as His precious Holy Spirit guides me.
Friends, I hope and pray that as I have honestly shared my heart with you that God will help you in your daily journey to press forward with tenacity and perseverance to trust and obey Him as His Holy Spirit guides you. He will fulfill His plan for your life for your ultimate good and His glory. Joan Courtney, WPI Founder/CEO